Matthew Boggs, who was 34 years old at the time, was sharing a tender moment with his son Grayson, who was six years old at the time, in the driveway of their home in Valley Hills. The two were walking hand in hand when, in a sudden and unexpected turn of events, disaster befell them both in the form of a lightning bolt that struck them both at the same time.

Elijah, Matthew’s older son, was with them as they walked from the bus station to their home; however, he became separated from them for a brief period of time during the journey. He vividly recalled the moment when he reunited with his father and brother, completely oblivious to the imminent disaster that was about to occur.

“I was really scared,” Elijah, then 11 years old, recalled later in an interview. “As I moved Grayson over, I noticed that he was showing the beginnings of a smile. I assumed they were joking, but when I moved my dad over, there was bleeding in the centre of his skull, and his face was already purple.” “I believed they were simply joking.”

This terrifying event took place in front of the eyes of the boys’ grandmother, who, together with worried neighbors, hurried to help the youngsters as everything occurred before her.

Matthew was tragically killed instantly, while Grayson was transported to the Baylor Scott & White McLane Children’s Medical Center in Temple, where he was clinging to a thin thread of hope despite the odds being stacked against him.

The medical professionals at the hospital tried everything that was in their ability to help, but the situation appeared hopeless from the very beginning. The family prayed fervently for a miracle, but despite their best efforts and everyone’s best efforts, the miracle that they all so desperately wanted did not occur.

The family has started a GoFundMe page in an attempt to raise as much money as they can so that Grayson will have the best chance of survival. They had high expectations that Grayson’s condition would get better in some way. However, as time went on following the unfortunate event that took place on May 15, the physicians eventually broke the news to the family that they had been dreading. It was a message that broke their hearts.

The devastating news was posted as an update on Grayson’s GoFundMe page on May 19 and read as follows: “Grayson has sustained a major anoxic brain injury.” Grayson may never be able to walk, talk, eat, or possibly even see again, according to the experts. The statement went on to say that “What that means for the family is that when Grayson gets to come home, he will be under total care with frequent appointments and therapies.”

Grayson’s condition did not show any signs of improvement despite the fact that he remained stable. Grayson went dead three excruciating days after his life support was turned off, leaving his bereaved family in a state of sadness after their loss.

Kayla, the man’s distraught mother, took the agonizing choice to turn off her son’s life support system. She then made the selfless decision to honor her son’s memory by registering him as an organ donor after he passed away.

Stephanie Burris, who had launched the initiative and kept friends and family updated on Grayson’s condition, wrote the following about the decision in a message that she sent to those who had followed Grayson’s journey through the fundraising campaign: “Please just pray that we keep him comfortable at this time and pray for healing for the family.” We may not understand what God has in store for Grayson, but we are confident that he has his arms around him at this very moment.

Matthew and Grayson, may you both rest in peace knowing that their souls will spend eternity together, bound together by the love they shared and the memories they shared.