For the last time, a dying dog was wheeled up its favourite mountain by his loving owner.

Carlos Fresco pulled him in the barrow-up Pen y Fan in the Brecon Beacons to give his Labradoodle Monty one final excursion before he passed away.


Fresco and his 10-year-old beloved dog had frequented the region throughout the years, but by the time the dog finally succumbed to leukaemia after an 18-month fight, Fresco knew the dog’s time with him was short.

Before Monty’s death on June 21st, he wanted to return to the region so they could make one final trip together. Fresco pushed his four-legged pal in a wheelbarrow to the summit of Pen y Fan.


Fresco said that he and Monty had hiked and explored many hills and paths around the nation.

After responding successfully to treatment for his disease 18 months ago, Monty’s leukaemia reappeared eight weeks ago, and his health quickly deteriorated.

Monty’s cancer had returned, so I knew it was terminal,” Fresco said.

He was diagnosed 18 months ago, and the results of his chemotherapy treatment have been excellent.

Unfortunately, his leukaemia reappeared eight weeks ago, and his condition deteriorated swiftly.

Since of Monty’s infirmity, he had to create a means to get him to the top of the hill, but he claimed it was worth it because Monty had always liked hill treks.


Fresco said that several passers-by tried to shove Monty after seeing all the attention he got. “The folks up in the hills were kind, and they were all deeply saddened by his rapidly declining health,” he recalled.

People from many walks of life approached me to see if they might help me push Monty on his last trip.

Many strangers shed tears since we care deeply about our canine and feline companions. I’d want to express my appreciation to everyone who has helped, encouraged, and cared for Monty.

That small kid impacted many people’s lives. His presence instantly brightened everyone he encountered, and he took a minute to consider that maybe life wasn’t that horrible after all.

When things aren’t going well, our tiny friends are there for us unconditionally, without passing judgement.


When asked how old Monty was, he stated he was 10 when he died at the foot of his bed.

He added that the tiny guy made it through Father’s Day and is at peace today.

I want to express my appreciation to everyone we came into contact with in Brecon and up on the hills for their genuine acts of generosity and compassion.

“He was a unique young man. Sleep tight, little dude, and God bless.”